The Cosmetic Dentist in Silver Spring Answers Your FAQ on Teeth Whitening
FAQ: What causes teeth to become stained and discolored?
Answer:Repeated exposure to foods and beverages causes the enamel of your teeth to naturally become darker over the decades, so unfortunately teeth staining to a certain degree is unavoidable. Then there are the certain habits and addictions that can lead to the speedier discoloration of your teeth. Here is a list of some of the top tooth-staining offenders:
- Foods that are rich in dark pigments, such as dark berries, beetroot and balsamic vinegar, etc.
- Beverages that contain dark pigments and tannins, such as coffee, tea, red wine, berry juice, cola, etc.
- Tobacco-use (chewing and smoking)
- There are also certain medications that can cause teeth to become mottled and/or stained.
- Poor oral hygiene, which leads to the accumulation of plaque and tartar on and between your teeth. This calculus collects more dead and dying oral bacteria as well as staining, resulting in the unsightly discoloration of your dental enamel.
- Acid reflux is incredibly damaging to your teeth as the acid erodes away your dental enamel, revealing the darker dentine underneath.
Teeth whitening is a cosmetic treatment offered by Silver Spring MD dentists that brightens the shade of your dental enamel. It doesn’t actually eliminate the cause of staining, nor can it treat the appearance of deep staining and tooth discoloration, such as that caused by dental decay.
Having said that, if your teeth are looking dull thanks to many years of devoted coffee drinking… a whitening treatment can make your smile look decades younger! If the cause of tooth discoloration comes down to something more serious, like acid reflux, poor oral hygiene or decay, you will need to receive a more comprehensive treatment approach.
FAQ: What methods for whitening teeth are available?
Answer: If you’re interested in getting your teeth whitened, then you can either visit a teeth whitening dentist in Silver Spring MD to get it done professionally, or you can do-it-yourself using a whitening kit purchased from your local supermarket or pharmacy.
1. Professional Whitening Methods:
- Deep bleaching: Recommended for patients whose teeth have become severely stained or discolored. This treatment approach combines the efforts of both in-office and take-home teeth whitening.
- Laser/light activated bleaching: This treatment is performed in-office by a qualified Silver Spring dentist like Dr. Alan Wolcott. It typically takes only about an hour and results are immediately appreciable.
- Take-home teeth whitening kits: The next time you come to Dental Health Associates for a check-up and you would like to have your teeth whitened, don’t hesitate to tell us about it! We’ll custom-design you a mouth tray and send you home with a tube of bleaching gel, which you can carefully squeeze out into the tray. You then pop this into your mouth and press gently against your teeth. Wear the mouth tray overnight or for a few minutes each day until you have achieved the white smile you want!
2. Do-It-Yourself Whitening Methods:
- Toothpastes that contain a small percentage of bleaching agent,
- Brush-on whiteners,
- Whitening strips,
- Over-the-counter whitening kits with mouth trays and bleaching gels.
FAQ: Which is the best and most effective way to get my teeth whitened?
Answer: You guessed it! A professional treatment from a teeth whitening dentist in Silver Spring MD, is definitely going to do the trick, whereas most of the over-the-counter products you find in your supermarket haven’t even been proven effective. The cosmetic treatments offered by qualified dentists are far safer, risk-free and convenient and they also make use of a higher concentration of bleaching agent. This renders professional treatment far more effective and the results attained, more immediately visible.
Over-the-counter whitening kits are legally restricted as to how much bleach they contain simply because their administration is not professionally supervised. You’ll find yourself using more of these products for longer before you reach the desired level of brightness, if you ever get there at all!
If you want beautiful and natural results, then opting for a professional whitening treatment with a teeth whitening expert in Silver Spring MD is the way to go.
FAQ: Are there any dangerous side effects I should be aware of?
Answer: Dental whitening treatments performed by an experienced dental healthcare professional like Dr. Wolcott are completely safe. You may experience some temporary tooth sensitivity after a treatment, which is the body’s natural reaction to the bleaching chemicals in the whitening substance. This side effect is quite common so do not be alarmed. You can use a “sensitive” toothpaste to help you cope while you have your teeth whitened.
Important Note: Always adhere to the treatment time and dosage recommendations provided to you by your dentist. Leaving the bleach on for too long can end up irritating your gums. If you have any problems or are unsure of what to do, contact Dr. Wolcott immediately.
FAQ: How long do the results of a whitening treatment last?
Answer: The good news is that the results of a teeth whitening treatment are permanent, but they do not prevent further staining and discoloration from occurring. If you want to get the most out of a treatment, try to limit your intake of staining substances, such as red wine, coffee, tea and dark juices/foods.
The average non-smoking patient will generally require a whitening touch-up every few years or so, but the results of a professional treatment often lasts between five and seven years before re-treatment is considered.
Contact Teeth Whitening Dentist in Silver Spring, Dr. Alan Wolcott
If you have any further questions about teeth whitening or wish to book yourself an appointment with Dr. Alan Wolcott, don’t hesitate to contact our office at (301) 850-0037 or (866) 838-9688. Alternatively, you can fill out the Contact Form on our website and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible!